What is the Primary PE and Sports Premium?
The PE and Sport Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Key Indicators – The Department for Education vision is that all pupils leaving primary school are physically literate and have the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport. The objective is to achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport that delivers high quality provision of a balanced and holistic PE and school sport offer. There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
Swimming at Cardinham School
We feel that living in this part of the UK, so close to the coast, it is vital that our pupils learn to swim confidently as soon as possible.
All pupils are taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations