What is the Primary PE and Sports Premium?
The PE and Sport Premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
The four objectives of the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding are:
- To improve the quality of existing PE teaching through continuing professional learning in PE, so that all primary pupils improve their health, skills and physical literacy, and have broader exposure to a range of sports;
- To increase participation levels in competitive sport and healthy activity of pupils, and maintain these into adolescence;
- To increase the quality of initial teacher training in PE and sport and to promote PE specialisation in primary level workforce;
- Schools understand and value the benefits of high quality PE and sport, including its use as a tool for whole school improvement.
Swimming at Cardinham School
At Cardinham School pupils swim every term in Years 2 through 6. We feel that living in this part of the UK, so close to the coast, it is vital that our pupils learn to swim confidently as soon as possible.
All pupils are taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
Meeting national curriculum requirements for swimming and water safety.
In the academic year of 19/20:
91% of Year 6 pupils could swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres when they left Cardinham primary school.
91% of pupils could use a range of strokes efficiently
91% of pupils could perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.