Cardinham Primary School believes that PE, experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. We want to teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Out curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Cardinham, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
- PE at Cardinham Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering in most instances two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- A group of pupils in Year 4/5/6 are on our ‘healthy body’ committee and meet every week to discuss and improve our PE offer for all children in the school.
- Children in Year 2 and up have the opportunity to swim each year.
- We are soon to launch the “Daily Mile”, to help meet the government target of all children being active for at least 60 minutes a day.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, out children learning to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. Our children also learn to work as part of a team and are able to provide and receive feedback. We equip out children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.